Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
desert knight
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:49:54 AM(UTC)
The Darkness

Groups: Administrators, FOUNDING MARSHAL
Man
India

Was thanked: 560 time(s) in 338 post(s)
Based on the numbers the following seem to be the best in the lot for 10-30W when you compare the importance of the viscosity index with the flash point together: the new Castrol Eged 10w 60, followed by Royal Purple HPS 10w 40 ,Redline 10w 40 and Total 15w 50 , Mobil 1 0w 40 are a few good oils for the conditions in the U.A.E

1. Viscosity Index (eg. 10w 40 )

Viscosity Index is an empirical number indicating the rate of change in viscosity of an oil within a given temperature range. Higher numbers indicate a low change, lower numbers indicate a relatively large change. The higher the number the better. This is one major property of an oil that keeps your bearings happy. These numbers can only be compared within a viscosity range. It is not an indication of how well the oil resists thermal breakdown.

2. Flash Point

Flash point is the temperature at which an oil gives off vapors that can be ignited with a flame held over the oil. The lower the flash point the greater tendency for the oil to suffer vaporization loss at high temperatures and to burn off on hot cylinder walls and pistons. The flash point can be an indicator of the quality of the base stock used. The higher the flash point the better. 400 F is the minimum to prevent possible high consumption. Flash point is in degrees F.

Pour point is 5 degrees F above the point at which a chilled oil shows no movement at the surface for 5 seconds when inclined. This measurement is especially important for oils used in the winter. A borderline pumping temperature is given by some manufacturers. This is the temperature at which the oil will pump and maintain adequate oil pressure. This was not given by a lot of the manufacturers, but seems to be about 20 degrees F above the pour point. The lower the pour point the better. Pour point is in degrees F.

3. Sulfated ash

Sulfated ash is how much solid material is left when the oil burns. A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils with a low ash content.

4. Zinc

Zinc is the amount of zinc used as an extreme pressure, anti-wear additive. The zinc is only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine. Hopefully the oil will do its job and this will rarely occur, but if it does, the zinc compounds react with the metal to prevent scuffing and wear. A level of .11% is enough to protect an automobile engine for the extended oil drain interval, under normal use. Those of you with high revving, air cooled motorcycles or turbo charged cars or bikes might want to look at the oils with the higher zinc content. More doesn't give you better protection, it gives you longer protection if the rate of metal to metal contact is abnormally high. High zinc content can lead to deposit formation and plug fouling.
The synthetics offer the only truly significant differences, due to their superior high temperature oxidation resistance, high film strength, very low tendency to form deposits, stable viscosity base, and low temperature flow characteristics. Synthetics are superior lubricants compared to traditional petroleum oils. You will have to decide if their high cost is justified in your application.

The extended oil drain intervals given by the vehicle manufacturers (typically 5000 km) and synthetic oil companies (up to 15000 km) are for what is called normal service. Normal service is defined as the engine at normal operating temperature, at highway speeds, and in a dust free environment. Stop and go, city driving, trips of less than 10 miles, or extreme heat or cold puts the oil change interval into the severe service category, which is 5000 km for most vehicles. Synthetics can be run two to three times the mileage of petroleum oils with no problems. They do not react to combustion and combustion by-products to the extent that the dead dinosaur juice does. The longer drain intervals possible help take the bite out of the higher cost of the synthetics. If your car or bike is still under warranty you will have to stick to the recommended drain intervals. These are set for petroleum oils and the manufacturers make no official allowance for the use of synthetics.

Because of the extreme heat conditions here in U.A.E the oil you chose can save your engine and a Hugh amount in repairs and for a long life of your engine please use good oils .

As desert drivers we put our car Thur a lot of stress at high heats and high revs . so before the season starts check your oil and all the fluid in your car and in perfect condition .

Edited by user Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:56:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lead where others want to follow ......

Ali Asgar Rokadia

056 8867786
 5 users thanked desert knight for this useful post.
Tushar on 5/22/2013(UTC), musbah on 5/22/2013(UTC), Saj on 5/23/2013(UTC), Daredevil on 9/25/2013(UTC), Pistonhead78 on 7/24/2014(UTC)
musbah
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:24:46 PM(UTC)
musbah

Groups: Registered, Marshals
Man
United Arab Emirates

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Very Valuable information. Thanks
Beastmaster
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:36:29 PM(UTC)
Beastmaster

Groups: Registered, Club Member, Intermediate, Newbee
Man
United Arab Emirates

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Then you definitely gotta read this

http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf
Skip to the page for motor oil ranking, Royal Purple is not as highly ranked in most specifications.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:37:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

050-9195453
055-5267967

http://goo.gl/VaVtk
 1 user thanked Beastmaster for this useful post.
desert knight on 5/22/2013(UTC)
desert knight
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:12:53 PM(UTC)
The Darkness

Man
India

Originally Posted by: Beastmaster Go to Quoted Post
Then you definitely gotta read this

http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf
Skip to the page for motor oil ranking, Royal Purple is not as highly ranked in most specifications.

my friend this are rateing for 99 till 2003 ....this report is 10 years old .......

Ali Asgar Rokadia

056 8867786
Tushar
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:23:25 PM(UTC)
Tushar

Groups: FOUNDING MARSHAL, Administrators, Registered, Marshals
Man
United Arab Emirates

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Few rankings here for the Top 54 about 3 years old this one - LINK

Also, found of some use -

055 2479377/ 050 4689131
ABOUT ME!
Beastmaster
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:54:39 PM(UTC)
Beastmaster

Man
United Arab Emirates

Report might be old but would like to point out that paying a premium for Royal Purple
is not necessarily the best way to go. (dont mean to bash Royal Purple, but usually it is a little more money)

I haven't found any newer oil reports at the moment and would like to see them if anyone has them

Personally, I would say you will be fine with with any good leading brand as long as you go
by the oil specifications listed in your manufacturer booklet.

As Ali always mentions, to check your fluids a etc
Regular ON TIME maintenance is the only preventative measure for any vehicle.

Would anyone like to make a post of their favorite oils for their vehicles?
It would be fun to get everyone's opinion and experiences with their experimentation

List them by

Vehicle Make
Vehicle Year
Oil Brand
Synthetic/Conventional
Using Manufacturer Recommended Specs or Different?

I'm under warranty with free service so can't give my opinion for now

050-9195453
055-5267967

1 user thanked Beastmaster for this useful post.
desert knight on 5/23/2013(UTC)
blaze
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:02:56 PM(UTC)
blaze

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 75 post(s)
this Test we done by Tuning mags in the US and is about 6yrs old. But the pix are there.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Anus, in all honesty, the companies will never recommend a better oil for the car.
Reason, most of their profits come from after sales services i.e:- servicing engines more regularly (5,000 kms vs 15,000 kms) then comes the spare part costs when wear out is faster.

but everyone to their own comfort zone!
Blaze
2010 FJ CRUISER- ($mokey)
TRD Exhaust- AIRAID MXP series Air Intake.
055-5546532
 1 user thanked blaze for this useful post.
desert knight on 5/23/2013(UTC)
j3r3miahAdmin
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:36:18 PM(UTC)
Jeepasaurus

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blaze Go to Quoted Post

Anus, in all honesty, the companies will never recommend a better oil for the car.
Reason, most of their profits come from after sales services i.e:- servicing engines more regularly (5,000 kms vs 15,000 kms) then comes the spare part costs when wear out is faster.

tell that to AGMC. I've been begging them to change the oil in the car. its done over 40k on the same oil. They flat out refuse and say that unless the car's computer says to change the oil, they will not. I don't want to change it outside as it will void the warranty. If the engine blows, BMW germany pays for it. Confused Confused

Changing oil from 5k to 10k is only a AED 100 / gallon difference. I don't think this is their priority or profiteering scenario
Beastmaster
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:46:14 PM(UTC)
Beastmaster

Man
United Arab Emirates

Originally Posted by: j3r3miahAdmin Go to Quoted Post

tell that to AGMC. I've been begging them to change the oil in the car. its done over 40k on the same oil. They flat out refuse and say that unless the car's computer says to change the oil, they will not. I don't want to change it outside as it will void the warranty. If the engine blows, BMW germany pays for it. Confused Confused

Changing oil from 5k to 10k is only a AED 100 / gallon difference. I don't think this is their priority or profiteering scenario

Can't you change the oil yourself?
They must be using some brand so ask the mechanics (slip in a 100 bux with a KFC voucher)

Oil change yourself and voila no one will know the difference

Unless the ECU logs the oil change then you need to borrow a unit to *ahem* *ahem* make changes Flapper

050-9195453
055-5267967

j3r3miahAdmin
#10 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 1:39:44 PM(UTC)
Jeepasaurus

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)

They must be using some brand so ask the mechanics (slip in a 100 bux with a KFC voucher)

Unless the ECU logs the oil change then you need to borrow a unit to *ahem* *ahem* make changes Flapper

Confused Confused Confused
bluetoy
#11 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 2:05:30 PM(UTC)
BlueToy

Groups: Registered, Administrators, FOUNDING MARSHAL, Marshals
Man
United Arab Emirates

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 153 post(s)

LOL. You are so in love
Emirates Offroaders
Beastmaster
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 6:22:31 PM(UTC)
Beastmaster

Man
United Arab Emirates

Originally Posted by: bluetoy Go to Quoted Post

LOL. You are so in love
Emirates Offroaders

Baba Innuendos are UNINTENTIONAL Laugh LOL LOL LOL Laugh
050-9195453
055-5267967

Crazy_Frog
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:08:21 AM(UTC)
Crazy_Frog

Groups: Registered
Man
United Arab Emirates

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does anyone use Castrol Eged 10w60 engine Oil? Is it safe to use as it is thick oil.

I'm going for an oil change and this product is available at good price.
desert knight
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:56:00 AM(UTC)
The Darkness

Man
India

Originally Posted by: Crazy_Frog Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone use Castrol Eged 10w60 engine Oil? Is it safe to use as it is thick oil.

sir myself , satwinder and humayun and using castrol edge 10 w 60 and myself have been using it for over a year now its really good ....... will last u with offroad for at least 8000kms .

Ali Asgar Rokadia

056 8867786
 1 user thanked desert knight for this useful post.
Crazy_Frog on 9/25/2013(UTC)
Crazy_Frog
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:27:08 AM(UTC)
Crazy_Frog

Man
United Arab Emirates

Originally Posted by: desert knight Go to Quoted Post

sir myself , satwinder and humayun and using castrol edge 10 w 60 and myself have been using it for over a year now its really good ....... will last u with offroad for at least 8000kms .

Many Thanks.
blaze
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:29:22 AM(UTC)
blaze

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I'm running the Castrol edge as well. No regrets
Blaze
2010 FJ CRUISER- ($mokey)
TRD Exhaust- AIRAID MXP series Air Intake.
055-5546532
 1 user thanked blaze for this useful post.
desert knight on 9/25/2013(UTC)
khshareef
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:02:13 PM(UTC)
khshareef

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: desert knight Go to Quoted Post

As recommended by Ali, i have been using Castrol Edge 10w60 since 4 to 5 months and done near about 14000 KMs. I feel better and smooth in driving offroad and onroad.
 1 user thanked khshareef for this useful post.
Crazy_Frog on 9/25/2013(UTC)
Beastmaster
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:15:07 PM(UTC)
Beastmaster

Man
United Arab Emirates

Where are you all getting the oil changed?

Also, who is using in their Jeeps?

Think its safe to use 10w60 in a pentastar engine?

050-9195453
055-5267967

Crazy_Frog
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:28:01 PM(UTC)
Crazy_Frog

Man
United Arab Emirates

Now, I'm also in a list of Castrol Edge 10W60 users. It performs very smooth specially on high RPM, a lot better then my last oil "Power Synth-5w50 Fully Synthetic".
Crazy_Frog
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:40:26 PM(UTC)
Crazy_Frog

Man
United Arab Emirates

Where are you all getting the oil changed?

Also, who is using in their Jeeps?

Think its safe to use 10w60 in a pentastar engine?

1. I buy oil of my choice and filter from parts shop, then go to any garage for oil change.

2. I use 10w60 in my TJ because its old engine I6 and with high millage.